It's great to see the active discussion! I want to share my ideas:

1) implement the cache in framework vs. connectors base
I don't have a strong opinion on this. Both ways should work (e.g., cache
pruning, compatibility).
The framework way can provide more concise interfaces.
The connector base way can define more flexible cache
strategies/implementations.
We are still investigating a way to see if we can have both advantages.
We should reach a consensus that the way should be a final state, and we
are on the path to it.

2) filters and projections pushdown:
I agree with Alex that the filter pushdown into cache can benefit a lot for
ALL cache.
However, this is not true for LRU cache. Connectors use cache to reduce IO
requests to databases for better throughput.
If a filter can prune 90% of data in the cache, we will have 90% of lookup
requests that can never be cached
and hit directly to the databases. That means the cache is meaningless in
this case.

IMO, Flink SQL has provided a standard way to do filters and projects
pushdown, i.e., SupportsFilterPushDown and SupportsProjectionPushDown.
Jdbc/hive/HBase haven't implemented the interfaces, don't mean it's hard to
implement.
They should implement the pushdown interfaces to reduce IO and the cache
size.
That should be a final state that the scan source and lookup source share
the exact pushdown implementation.
I don't see why we need to duplicate the pushdown logic in caches, which
will complex the lookup join design.

3) ALL cache abstraction
All cache might be the most challenging part of this FLIP. We have never
provided a reload-lookup public interface.
Currently, we put the reload logic in the "eval" method of TableFunction.
That's hard for some sources (e.g., Hive).
Ideally, connector implementation should share the logic of reload and
scan, i.e. ScanTableSource with InputFormat/SourceFunction/FLIP-27 Source.
However, InputFormat/SourceFunction are deprecated, and the FLIP-27 source
is deeply coupled with SourceOperator.
If we want to invoke the FLIP-27 source in LookupJoin, this may make the
scope of this FLIP much larger.
We are still investigating how to abstract the ALL cache logic and reuse
the existing source interfaces.

Best,
Jark