Hi John, hi Prasanna, hi Rui,

Gyula already gave great answers to your questions, just adding to it:

>What’s the reason to add auto scaling to the Operator instead of to the
JobManager?

As Gyula mentioned, the JobManager is not the ideal place, at least not
until Flink supports in-place autoscaling which is a related but ultimately
very different problem because it involves solving job reconfiguration at
runtime. I believe the AdaptiveScheduler has moved into this direction and
there is nothing preventing us from using it in the future once it has
evolved further. For now, going through the job redeployment route seems
like the easiest and safest way.

>Could we finally use the autoscaler as a outside tool? or run it as a
separate java process?

I think we could but I wouldn't make it a requirement for the first
version. There is nothing preventing the autoscaler from running as a
separate k8s/yarn deployment which would provide some of the same
availability guarantees as the operator or any deployment has on k8s/yarn.
However, I think this increases complexity by a fair bit because the
operator already has all the configuration and tooling to manage Flink
jobs. I'm not at all opposed to coming up with a way to allow the
autoscaler to run separately as well as with the k8s operator. I just think
it is out of scope for the first version to keep the complexity and scope
under control.

-Max