Hi guys. When I recently used flink sql to manage internal metadata
(catalog/databases/table/functions),
I found that many current flink sql statements do not support filtering or
some advanced syntax, however these abilities are very useful to end-users.

These are some statements I have collected so far, which are supported on
other big data engines, such as spark, hive or presto. I wonder if we can
support these abilities?

In addition, the subject of this email is named 'Auxiliary Statements'
mainly because the alignment of these statements will not have much impact
on the core SQL runtime.

Support or Not

With Advanced Syntax Or Not (in/from or like)

show create table

Yes

Yes

show tables

Yes

Yes

show columns

Yes

Yes

show catalogs

Yes

without filter

show databases

Yes

without filter

show functions

Yes

without filter

show views

Yes

without filter

show modules

Yes

without filter

show jars

Yes

without filter

show jobs

Yes

without filter

We can see current flink many sql statements only support showing with full
datas, without 'FROM/IN' or 'LIKE' filter clause.

Support or Not

describe database

No

describe table

Yes

describe function

No

describe query

No

current flink only supports describing tables.

Also, please let me know if there is a mistake. Looking forward to your
reply.

Best Regards,
Ran Tao
https://github.com/chucheng92