Given that the latest Flink version still supports Java 8, and that Flink
has not officially announced the drop of Java 8 support, I think it is
incorrect to say that "Flink requires at least Java 11 to build".

Because dropping Java 8 support is a backward incompatible change with huge
impact, it is probably necessary for Flink to give explicit notice of when
Java 8 support will be dropped before actually making this change. Maybe we
can follow Kafka website doc <https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/> for
example, which says "Java 8, Java 11, and Java 17 are supported. Note that
Java 8 support has been deprecated since Apache Kafka 3.0 and will be
removed in Apache Kafka 4.0".

The Flink doc has been updated to say "Flink requires Java 8 (deprecated)
or Java 11 to build" in Flink 1.17.0 branch and the master branch. The
reasons are documented in FLINK-30501
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-30501>.