Hi,
Thanks for joining the discussion and giving the ideas.

@ron
> can the Hybrid Shuffle replace the RSS in the future?

The hybrid shuffle and RSS offer distinct solutions to address
the shuffle operation challenge. To optimize performance, we
store shuffle data in different tiers of memory and disk, enabling
greater flexibility and ease of use. Specifically, we cache
intermediate data in memory to reduce disk I/O overhead.
In contrast, RSS is a standalone service that can operate across
multiple servers within a cluster, parallelizing shuffle operations
to enhance performance. However, this introduces additional
deployment and maintenance costs. Each approach has its own
benefits and drawbacks, and users should be able to select the
method that best suits their needs. So I think we cannot replace
RSS in the future.

@ConradJam
> Should we define a data acceleration layer like Alluxio in remote storage?

I'm not entirely clear on the detailed plan you've proposed, but I
understand that you want to use Alluxio to serve as a cache layer for
the remote stoarge tier. It's designed to provide low-latency data
access to applications through a distributed caching layer. However,
implementing Alluxio introduces additional dependencies and
deployment/maintenance costs for users. While our design approach
is to supplement local storage with remote storage, as local storage
is generally sufficient. Given the limited usage scenarios, introducing
such costs for optimization may not be worthwhile or meaningful.
Additionally, for users, added dependencies imply increased complexity.

Best,
Yuxin

ConradJam <jam.gz...@gmail.com> 于2023年3月17日周五 11:11写道: