The error only happens in cases when a podTemplate is not defined. The
checkpointing/HA examples run well.

Adding a simple (dummy) podtemplate to the basic.yaml makes it work:

podTemplate:
    spec:
      containers:
        - name: flink-main-container

I suspect it could be related to some recent changes on the pod template
handling. This is definitely a blocker for now, I will work on this today.

Thank you!
Gyula