Hi devs,

The release managers had some online discussions recently, and I'd like to
post the summary here for transparency.

We'd like to have 3 separate discussion tracks, so that each track can be
more focused.

   - Jark will help drive a discussion on the project's long-term roadmap.
   Concrete target of this discussion includes generating an updated version
   of the project roadmap[1], as well as a mechanism for regularly discussing
   and updating the roadmap.
   - Becket will help drive a discussion on the API compatibility,
   including the compatibility between 1.x and 2.0, as well as the general
   compatibility semantics. We are aware of the previous approved process
   (FLIP-197[2]). However, API compatibility across major releases and the
   process for deprecating / removing APIs seem not covered.
   - Martijn and Xintong will work on collecting work items for the 2.0
   release.
      - The items should be categorized into 2 kinds, must-have and
      nice-to-have.
      - We have created a wiki page[3] for collecting proposals, where we
      have already put some items based on previous discussions. *Please
      fill the chart with your proposals by June 15.*
      - After collecting the proposals, we'll organize further discussions
      to decide a minimum set of must-have items with the community.

Further plans such as how to manage the branches and whether to apply the
milestone release approach would depend on the outcome of the above
discussions.

Best,

Xintong (On behalf of the release management team)

[1] https://flink.apache.org/roadmap/

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-197%3A+API+stability+graduation+process

[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/2.0+Release