Hey,

Sorry for a late reply, I was OoO for a week. I have three things to point
out.

1. ===============

The updated proposal is indeed better, but to be honest I still don't like
it, for mostly the same reasons that I have mentioned earlier:
- only a partial solution, that doesn't address all use cases, so we would
need to throw it away sooner or later
- I don't see and it hasn't been discussed how to make it work out of the
box for all sources
- somehow complicating API for people implementing Sources
- it should work out of the box for most of the sources, or at least to
have that potential in the future

On top of that:
- the FLIP I think is missing how to hook up SplitEnumeratorContext and
CheckpointCoordinator to pass "isProcessingBacklog"
- the FLIP suggests to use the long checkpointing interval as long as any
subtask is processing the backlog. Are you sure that's the right call? What
if other
  sources are producing fresh records, and those fresh records are reaching
sinks? It could happen either with disjoint JobGraph, embarrassing parallel
  JobGraph (no keyBy/unions/joins), or even with keyBy. Fresh records can
slip using a not backpressured input channel through generally backpressured
  keyBy exchange. How should we handle that? This problem I think will
affect every solution, including my previously proposed generic one, but we
should
  discuss how to handle that as well.

2. ===============

Regarding the current proposal, there might be a way to make it actually
somehow generic (but not pluggable). But it might require slightly different
interfaces. We could keep the idea that SourceCoordinator/SplitEnumerator
is responsible for switching between slow/fast processing modes. It could be
implemented to achieve something like in the FLIP-309 proposal, but apart
of that, the default behaviour would be a built in mechanism working like
this:
1. Every SourceReaderBase checks its metrics and its state, to decide if it
considers itself as "processingBacklog" or "veryBackpressured". The base
    implementation could do it via a similar mechanism as I was proposing
previously, via looking at the busy/backPressuredTimeMsPerSecond,
    pendingRecords and processing rate.
2. SourceReaderBase could send an event with
"processingBacklog"/"veryBackpressured" state.
3. SourceCoordinator would collect those events, and decide what should it
do, whether it should switch whole source to the
    "processingBacklog"/"veryBackpressured" state or not.

That could provide eventually a generic solution that works for every
source that reports the required metrics. Each source implementation could
decide
whether to use that default behaviour, or if maybe it's better to override
the default, or combine default with something custom (like HybridSource).

And as a first step, we could implement that mechanism only on the
SourceCoordinator side, without events, without the default generic
solution and use
it in the HybridSource/MySQL CDC.

This approach has some advantages compared to my previous proposal:
  + no need to tinker with metrics and pushing metrics from TMs to JM
  + somehow communicating this information via Events seems a bit cleaner
to me and avoids problems with freshness of the metrics
And some issues:
  - I don't know if it can be made pluggable in the future. If a user could
implement a custom `CheckpointTrigger` that would automatically work with
all/most
    of the pre-existing sources?
  - I don't know if it can be expanded if needed in the future, to make
decisions based on operators in the middle of a jobgraph.

3. ===============

Independent of that, during some brainstorming between me, Chesnay and
Stefan Richter, an idea popped up, that I think could be a counter proposal
as
an intermediate solution that probably effectively works the same way as
current FLIP-309.

Inside a HybridSource, from it's SplitEnumerator#snapshotState method, can
not you throw an exception like
`new CheckpointException(TOO_MANY_CHECKPOINT_REQUESTS)` or `new
CheckpointException(TRIGGER_CHECKPOINT_FAILURE)`?
Actually we could also introduce a dedicated `CheckpointFailureReason` for
that purpose and handle it some special way in some places (like maybe hide
such rejected checkpoints from the REST API/WebUI). We could elaborate on
this a bit more, but after a brief thinking  I could see it actually
working well
enough without any public facing changes. But I might be wrong here.

If this feature actually grabs traction, we could expand it to something
more sophisticated available via a public API in the future.

Sorry for disturbing this FLIP discussion and voting.

Best,
Piotrek