Hi Piotr,

Thanks for the comments. Please see my reply inline.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 12:32 AM Piotr Nowojski <pnowoj...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi Dong,
>
> Thanks for the updates, a couple of comments:
>
> > If a record is generated by a source when the source's
> isProcessingBacklog is true, or some of the records used to
> > derive this record (by an operator) has isBacklog = true, then this
> record should have isBacklog = true. Otherwise,
> > this record should have isBacklog = false.
>
> nit:
> I think this conflicts with "Rule of thumb for non-source operators to set
> isBacklog = true for the records it emits:"
> section later on, when it comes to a case if an operator has mixed
> isBacklog = false and isBacklog = true inputs.

Hmm... I double checked these paragraphs but could not find the conflicts.
Maybe I have missed something. Could you help explain what the conflict is?

> > execution.checkpointing.interval-during-backlog
>
> Do we need to define this as an interval config parameter? Won't that add
> an option that will be almost instantly deprecated
> because what we actually would like to have is:
> execution.slow-end-to-end-latency and execution.end-to-end-latency
>
> Maybe we can introduce only `execution.slow-end-to-end-latency` (% maybe a
> better name), and for the time being
> use it as the checkpoint interval value during backlog?

Good point!

I think it is feasible (and simpler in the long term) to have only 2
configs (i.e. execution.checkpointing.interval,
execution.end-to-end-latency), instead 3 configs (e.g.
execution.checkpointing.interval, execution.end-to-end-latency,
execution.checkpointing.interval-during-backlog), with the following
semantics:

1) *execution.checkpointing.interval*
It is used as the checkpointing interval if any of the following conditions
are true.
- execution.end-to-end-latency is set to null
- the job does not have any two-phase-commit sink that is processing
non-backlog records.

Typically, users should set execution.checkpointing.interval to upper-bound
the amount of work that will be redo after job failover.

2) *execution.end-to-end-latency*
It is the processing latency requirement for non-backlog records. If it is
not null, and if a two-phase commit sink is processing non-backlog records,
then the checkpointing interval will be set to
execution.end-to-end-latency. Its default value is null.

In order to achieve this goal, in addition to renaming the config from
execution.checkpointing.interval-during-backlog to execution.end-to-end
latency, we will need to add RecordAttributes (from FLIP-325) to propagate
isBacklog value to sink operator, add public API for sink operator, and
update every two-phase commit sink operator to report isBacklog status to
JM so that JM can adjust checkpointing interval.

Overall I would also prefer to take the long term approach rather than
adding a config that we will deprecate in the near future.

If this looks good to you overall, I will update the FLIP as described
above.

BTW, I am not sure I get the idea of why we need both
execution.slow-end-to-end-latency and execution.end-to-end-latency, or why
we need to have "slow" in the config name. Can you help explain it?

What do you think?

Best,
Dong