Hi all,

Overall, it is a good idea to provide the LTS release, but I'd like to
reference a concrete case as an example to understand what restrictions the
LTS should have.

Hypothetically, Source-/Sink- Function have been deprecated in 1.x LTS and
removed in 2.0 and the issues[1] are not solved in 2.0. This is a typical
scenario that the old APIs are widely used in 1.x LTS and the new APIs in
2.0 are not ready yet to take over all users. We will have the following
questions:

1. Is this scenario allowed at all? Do we all agree that there could be
some features/functionalities that only work in 1.x LTS after 2.0 has been
released?
2. How long are we going to support 1.x LTS? 1 year? 2 years? As long as
the issues that block users from migrating to 2.0 are not solved, we can't
stop the LTS support, even if the predefined support time expires.
3. What is the intention to release a new version with (or without) LTS? Do
we still want to engage users to migrate to the new release asap? If  the
old APIs 1.x LTS offer more than the new APIs in 2.0 or it is almost
impossible to migrate, double effort will be required to maintain those
major releases for a very long time. We will be facing many cohorts.

IMHO, we should be clear with those questions before we start talking about
LTS. WDYT?

Best regards,
Jing

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/734zhkvs59w2o4d1rsnozr1bfqlr6rgm