Hi devs,

I'd like to share some highlights about the 1.18 release sync on Aug 1,
2023.

- Release syncs are switched to weekly after feature freeze. The link to
the updated iCal calendar can be found at the top of the 1.18 release wiki
page [1].

- There are 2 requests to merge into master after feature freeze
(FLINK-32098 and FLINK-28045). Please make a formal request in this
announcement thread [2] in the mailing list, and only requests approved by
release managers can be merged.

- Currently we have 3 blocker and 6 critical issues. We'll try to resolve
these issues and then cut the 1.18 release branch.

- Release manager of Flink 2.0, Xintong Song, suggests having a joint
periodical release sync with minor (1.x) releases. Considering there's not
too many topics to discuss currently, 2.0 RMs will start from monthly
joining release syncs in 1.19.

- Release testing: An umbrella issue FLINK-32726 [3] for release testing
has been created just now. Please create subtasks for your features under
the umbrella issue so that we could track all of them. @Contributors please
update the document of your new features, as documentations are quite
helpful for others to verify your new features.

The next release sync will be on Aug 8, 2023. Welcome to join us [4]!

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/1.18+Release
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/4b48sot69q6ds99xmjnsvbk369yoyy02
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/79158702091?pwd=8CXPqxMzbabWkma5b0qFXI1IcLbxBh.1

Best,