Hi Xintong,

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your concern. Let me chime in and
provide my thoughts on this issue.

Please see my comments for each point inline.

Overall, it seems that the main concern with this FLIP is that the 2%
throughput saving might not be worth the added implementation complexity.

IMO, it really depends on what is Flink's *long-term* performance goal in
the batch-only scenario. Do we just need Flink to perform reasonably well
(maybe with 80-90% throughput of that of Spark) for batch, or do we expect
Flink to have best possible performance with minimal possible cost?

If it is the former goal, then I agree it is debatable whether this FLIP is
worthwhile. And I would be OK if we decide to postpone this FLIP
indefinitely. However, we (the whole Flink developer) needs to be aware
that this effectively tells users that: You should only use Flink to run a
batch-only job if your job needs to be run in stream mode, and Flink does
not intended to be an optimal engine for batch computation.

If it is the latter goal, the implementation complexity involved in this
FLIP will be an inevitable one that we should take rather than avoid. Also
note that it is also better to make infra change sooner than later. I would
say the resulting code (associated with this complexity) is also a valuable
asset of Flink (or any other engine) that intends to be stream-batch
unified.

IMO, we should aim for the 2nd goal and give users (and developers) the
idea that it is a good investment to migrate their existing batch-only jobs
(and related infra) to Flink because Flink should be able to achieve the
best performance for batch-only jobs in the long term.

What do you think?

Best,
Dong

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 9:16 PM Xintong Song <tonysong...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Yunfeng,
>
> Thanks for preparing this FLIP. I'm respectful for the efforts you already
> put into the PoC implementation and benchmarks. However, I have to say I'm
> quite concerned about this proposal.
>
> 1. The FLIP is based on the assumption that in non-timestamp scenarios
> StreamRecord is the only possible sub-type of StreamElement. This
> assumption is true with the current sub-types, but is not by definition,
> and can be broken if we want to introduce more sub-types in future. Or put
> it differently, introducing this optimization would limit us from
> flexibility extending StreamElement in future, because that may invalid
> this optimization and thus introduce regressions.

The goal of this FLIP is to avoid the unnecessary per-record overhead (e.g.
related to timestamp) that is currently involved to process StreamRecord in
scenarios where StreamRecord does not need timestamp (which is known at job
compile time). I suppose we both agree that this can be achieved as of the
current Flink implementation.

In the future, if we have more use-case that requires addition of new
sub-types of StreamElement, I believe we should still be able to address
such use-case without breaking the optimization introduced in this FLIP.
The intuition is that if the use-case knows for sure there is only one type
of StreamRecord, then the job should **always** be able to hardcode this
logic at compile time instead of checking the record type on a per-record
basis at runtime.

Also know that we might not have to add new subtypes of StreamRecord in
order to achieve the future use-case. It seems like an implementation
detail that should be decided based on the concrete use-case.

If this is not the case, can you please provide a concrete use-case (can be
a fabricated one) where this optimization can not be achieved? This can
help use evaluate whether this concern is realistic.

> 2. Changing LatencyMarker into a RuntimeEvent is problematic. The purpose
> of LatencyMarker is to measure the end-to-end latency of a record traveling
> through the data flow. RuntimeEvents are consumed with higher priority than
> StreamRecord in the shuffle layer, which may introduce bias on the
> measurement result.

Thank you for mentioning this. I think we can update the proposed change
section (and the Flink implementation) so that LatencyMarker will be
consumed with the same priority as the StreamRecord. Would that address you
concern (apart of the possible implementation complexity)?

> 3. The proposed configuration option is, TBH, hard for users to understand.
> It requires in-depth understanding of the Flink internals. But this is
> probably not a big problem, if the plan is to eventually make this feature
> default and remove the configuration option.

I guess we both agree that it won't be a problem in the long term since we
should be able to remove this config with new operator APIs (e.g. we can
tighten the operator API, or add operator attribute to specify whether it
needs timestamp).

In the short term, this also won't be a problem since optimization is
turned off by default and users won't need to even know this config.
Advanced users can take advantage of this config to optimize throughput of
their jobs.

> 4. It complicates the system by having multiple code paths for
> StreamElement (de)serialization, and the logic for deciding which path to
> be used. Admittedly, this is not super expensive, but still worth
> comparison with the benefit.

Yes, I agree it can add complexity to the Flink implementation. This is
probably an inevitable complexity if we want Flink to achieve optimal
performance for the target scenario where computation does not need
timestamp.

And yes, the impact of this optimization can be smaller as the per-record
size increases. On the other hand, its impact can also be larger as the
per-record size decreases. Given that word-count is kind of typical and we
don't know the concrete average per-record size that a user's job might
have, it seems better to just do this optimization for peace-of-mind, as
supposed to tell users that "Your Flink job performance can be considerably
optimal if your job's average record size is too small".

> 5. The benefit is limited.
>   a. It only benefits non-timestamp scenarios
>   b. For the applicable scenarios, it only saves the (de)serialization /
> transmission cost of 1 byte / record. The larger the record size, the less
> benefit.
>   c. As Jark already pointed out, the 20% improvement is achieved with a
> simple Boolean type record. WordCount (where the record size is just 1
> string token + 1 integer, typically 20B or so?) shows only 2-3% throughput
> improvement. Not even mention the workloads with larger record size or
> higher computation load.

I agree 2% saving it not significant. However, it is already observable and
the absolute saving can be significant for users with large scale Flink
deployment.

Given that Flink is intended for large scale deployment (particular as
Flink is trying to be stream-batch unified), I am not sure we should give
up 2% throughput optimization (at the cost of Flink users) so as to keep
Flink implementation simpler.