I created a pull request for this: [FLINK-31619] Upgrade Stateful Functions
to Flink 1.16.1 by galenwarren · Pull Request #331 · apache/flink-statefun
(github.com) <https://github.com/apache/flink-statefun/pull/331>.

JIRA is here: [FLINK-31619] Upgrade Stateful Functions to Flink 1.16.1 -
ASF JIRA (apache.org)
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-31619?filter=-1>.

Statefun references 1.16.2, despite the title -- that version has come out
since the issue was created.

I figured out how to run all the playground tests locally, but it took a
bit of reworking of the playground setup with respect to Docker;
specifically, the Docker contexts used to build the example functions
needed to be broadened (i.e. moved up the tree) so that, if needed, local
artifacts/code can be accessed from within the containers at build time.
Then I made the Docker compose.yml configurable through environment
variables to allow for them to run in either the original manner -- i.e.
pulling artifacts from public repos -- or in a "local" mode, where
artifacts are pulled from local builds.

This process is a cleaner if the playground is a subfolder of the
flink-statefun project rather than be its own repository
(flink-statefun-playground), because then all the relative paths between
the playground files and the build artifacts are fixed. So, I'd like to
propose to move the playground files, modified as described above, to
flink-statefun/playground and retire flink-statefun-playground. I can
submit separate PR s those changes if everyone is on board.

Also, should I plan to do the same upgrade to handle Flink 1.17.x? It
should be easy to do, especially while the 1.16.x upgrade is fresh on my
mind.

Thanks.