Hi everyone,
I want to open the discussion on FLIP-360 [1]. The goal of this FLIP is to
combine the two very similar components ExecutionGraphInfoStore and
JobResultStore into a single component.

The benefit of this effort would be to expose the metadata of a
globally-terminated job even in cases where the JobManager fails shortly
after the job finished. This is relevant for external checkpoint management
(like it's done in the Kubernetes Operator) which relies on the checkpoint
information to be available.

More generally, it would allow completed jobs to be listed as part of the
Flink cluster even after a JM failover. This would allow users to gain more
control over finished jobs.

The current state of the FLIP doesn't come up with a final conclusion on
the serialization format of the data (JSON vs binary). I want to emphasize
that there's also a third option which keeps both components separate and
only exposes the additional checkpoint information through the
JobResultStore.

I'm looking forward to feedback.
Best,
Matthias

PS: I might be less responsive in the next 2-3 weeks but want to initiate
the discussion, anyway.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-360%3A+Merging+the+ExecutionGraphInfoStore+and+the+JobResultStore+into+a+single+component+CompletedJobStore

--

[image: Aiven] <https://www.aiven.io>

*Matthias Pohl*
Opensource Software Engineer, *Aiven*
matthias.p...@aiven.io <i...@aiven.io>   |  +49 170 9869525
aiven.io <https://www.aiven.io>   |   <https://www.facebook.com/aivencloud>
  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/aiven/>   <https://twitter.com/aiven_io>
*Aiven Deutschland GmbH*
Alexanderufer 3-7, 10117 Berlin
Geschäftsführer: Oskari Saarenmaa & Hannu Valtonen
Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 209739 B