Hello,
I am looking to build Flink from source I notice that the documentation
https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-release-1.17/docs/flinkdev/building/
 says
https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-release-1.17/docs/flinkdev/building/

In addition you need Maven 3 and a JDK (Java Development Kit). Flink requires
Java 8 (deprecated) or Java 11 to build.

NOTE: Maven 3.3.x can build Flink, but will not properly shade away certain
dependencies. Maven 3.2.5 creates the libraries properly.
The README.md https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/README.md says:

  *   Maven (we recommend version 3.8.6 and require at least 3.1.1)
  *   Java 8 or 11 (Java 9 or 10 may work)
git clone https://github.com/apache/flink.git
cd flink
./mvnw clean package -DskipTests # this will take up to 10 minutes
Flink is now installed in build-target.
NOTE: Maven 3.3.x can build Flink, but will not properly shade away certain
dependencies. Maven 3.1.1 creates the libraries properly. To build unit tests
with Java 8, use Java 8u51 or above to prevent failures in unit tests that use
the PowerMock runner.

Can you confirm that the readme is correct and whether there is a need to do
the documented dependency on versions after Maven 3.3.*
https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-release-1.17/docs/flinkdev/building/#dependency-shading

The recommended Maven level is 3.8.6, is this what was tested or is there a
reason not to use the latest Maven version.

I am happy to amend the docs to make them consistent,

    Kind regards, David

Unless otherwise stated above:

IBM United Kingdom Limited