It is a unfortunate that we'll need a separate config file but the FLIP does a good job justifying it.

Personally I'd just name it "config.yaml"; I never quite understood why there was a flink prefix to begin with, and the current proposal ("flink-configuration.yaml") seems unnecessarily long.

For the deprecation process we could consider logging a warning if the old parser is used.

In terms of scope, is the migration of existing e2e tests and the docker image to the new parser part of the FLIP?