Hi Jing,

For jobs that catch exceptions, they will need to modify their code.
If they still wish to catch the exception, they should catch the
`Throwable` instead.

As I explained, this use case is not common because:
1. The user-defined processElement function, where the state APIs are
called, already declares that it throws `Exception`, so there is no
need for user code to catch these exceptions. The compiler or IDE will
not prompt them to do so.
2. These exceptions are fatal, and users can do very little or nothing
to prevent a job failure. Also in this case, Flink already provides
error logging for users.

And for minor releases, APIs annotated with @PublicEvolving are
allowed to have signature changes[1]. So I think the callers will
expect this when migrating to a new version.

Hi David,

It is true that recompilation is necessary when migrating to the next
minor release, as Flink is a rapidly evolving project. API
compatibility is essential, but it should not hinder development.
That's why the API compatibility guarantees of Flink[1] were created.
If we expect stable binaries/sources across dot versions, then we
should prohibit any breaking changes, not just this one. Therefore, we
can discuss a new rule for this. However, for now, this proposal
aligns with the current rules.

Regarding Flink 2.0, if my estimate is correct, it will be released at
least one year later. The API will undergo a significant redesign, and
user code may need to be essentially rewritten. The main focus of
Flink 2.0 will be on API design, not on reorganizing exceptions as
proposed here. After Flink 2.0 is released, many existing users may
continue using Flink 1.x for a long time. This work aims to provide a
cleaner API for Flink 1.x before we stop updating it.

Best,
Zakelly

[1]
https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-master/docs/ops/upgrading/#api-compatibility-guarantees