Hi Xuyang,

Thanks for the feedback! Please find my response below.

> 1. How will the colors of vertics with high data skew scores be unified with
> existing backpressure and high busyness
colors on the UI? Users should be able to distinguish at a glance which vertics
in the entire job graph is skewed.

The current proposal does not suggest to change the colours of the vertices
based on data skew. In another exchange with Rui, we touch on why data skew
might not necessarily be bad (for instance if data skew is the designed
behaviour). The colours are currently dedicated to the Busy/Backpressure
metrics. I would not be keen on introducing another colour or using the same
colours for data skew as I am not sure if that'll help or confuse users. I am
also keen to keep the scope of this FLIP as minimal as possible with as few
contentious points as possible. We could also revisit this point in future
FLIPs, if it does not become a blocker for this one. Please let me know your
thoughts.

2. Can you tell me that you prefer to unify Data Skew Score and Exception tab?
In my opinion, Data Skew Score is in
the same category as the existing Backpressured and Busy metrics.

The FLIP does not propose to unify the Data Skew tab and the Exception tab. The
proposed Data Skew tab would sit next to the Exception tab (but I'm not too
opinionated on where it sits). Backpressure and Busy metrics are somewhat
special in that they have high visibility thanks to the vertices changing
colours based on their value. I agree that Data Skew is in the same category in
that it can be used as an indicator of the job's health. I'm not sure if the
suggestion here then is to not introduce a tab for data skew? I'd appreciate
some clarification here.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Emre

On 16/01/2024, 06:05, "Xuyang" <xyzhong...@163.com
<mailto:xyzhong...@163.com>> wrote:

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know the
content is safe.

Hi, Emre.

In large-scale production jobs, the phenomenon of data skew often occurs.
Having an metric on the UI that
reflects data skew without the need for manual inspection of each vertex by
clicking on them would be quite cool.
This could help users quickly identify problematic nodes, simplifying
development and operations.

I'm mainly curious about two minor points:
1. How will the colors of vertics with high data skew scores be unified with
existing backpressure and high busyness
colors on the UI? Users should be able to distinguish at a glance which vertics
in the entire job graph is skewed.
2. Can you tell me that you prefer to unify Data Skew Score and Exception tab?
In my opinion, Data Skew Score is in
the same category as the existing Backpressured and Busy metrics.

Looking forward to your reply.

--

Best!
Xuyang