Hello all,

Thanks for Driving this David. I am +1 for adding support for the new
format, however have some questions/suggestions on the details.

1. Passing around Map<String, Object> additionalInputProperties feels a bit
dirty. It looks like this is mainly for the Kafka connector. This connector
already has a de/serialization schema extension to access record
headers, KafkaRecordDeserializationSchema [1], can we use this instead?
2. Can you elaborate why we need to change the SchemaCoder interface? Again
I am not a fan of adding these Map parameters
3. I assume this integration will go into the core Flink repo under
flink-formats [2], and not be a separate repository like the connectors?

Thanks,
Danny

[1]
https://github.com/apache/flink-connector-kafka/blob/main/flink-connector-kafka/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/connector/kafka/source/reader/deserializer/KafkaRecordDeserializationSchema.java