Hi there,
It looks like Flink does not support fields containing a dot character in the
watermark.

The validation done on Flink code to determine whether the property is
"nested", is to check if they contain a dot in the name, so even if the
property is not nested, but contains a dot, it is reported as not valid:
https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/flink-table/flink-table-planner/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/table/planner/connectors/DynamicSourceUtils.java#L604-L609

If we were to remove this check, are there other reasons why watermarks cannot
be based on a nested field?
Ideally we would actually like to run with watermarks based on nested fields.

WDYT?

Kind regards, David.

Unless otherwise stated above:

IBM United Kingdom Limited