I don't know if its okay for you to start with a project outside our main
codebase, but we really need a QA-bot for validating pull requests:
I can give you a small virtual machine at Microsoft Azure to run the bot on.

Another field that probably contains a lot of interesting tasks is our new
Streaming component. There are not so many issues related to the streaming
component in JIRA, but I think there is still a lot of work to do there.
(For example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1081)