Yes, you can. I came up with 2 use-cases where the Kafka channel is useful (in
addition to the HA aspect of the channel).

1. Receive data from various sources (even Kafka itself) - and modify it using
interceptors and write out to Kafka. This would be lower latency than using a
channel + sink - and this could be HA if you have multiple Flume agents
receiving the data, so a dead Flume agent would not delay your data.

2. Send data from Kafka to HDFS/HBase at low latency. This again, gives the
advantage of dead Flume agents not delaying data delivery. One agent dies,
another picks up the slack sending data to HDFS/HBase etc.

I think the Storm Spout is really not required to write to HDFS unless you have
more complex processing required on the events.

Thanks,
Hari