If you have the patch file uploaded, you can download and apply it to
get your working version.
Rebase is simple, git pull.

If the patch is large I prefer to take a backup. But most part not
worried much about it. Once I know how to solve the JIRA, its mostly
easy to recreate the solution even from scratch. Have I ever lost my
data, yes. But recovered a lot of it from IntelliJ local history. And
sometimes re-wrote the complete solution. I prefer this coz I
precisely know how much I can take and if lot of patches are pending,
I know I have to stop and let the team catch-up.

It's personal choice, after a few patches you will have your own :)