Only committers can commit to the repo. In the past, when release managers
were not committers, one committer mentored the release manager. For the
release, patches would be posted as usual on a release and the committer
would commit the patches. Basically follow all steps as is, and then just
post patches to jiras. See the umbrella jira for Flume 1.6 release:

Lior - I have added you as a contributor on jira. This should allow you to
create jira tickets and assign them to yourself.