FYI, I have been using Log4j 2 in my Flume deployments for over a year, despite
whatever Flume or its dependencies are using for an API.  Having Flume come
preconfigured for Log4j 2 would be nice.  It will take some work to convert the
code to use the Log4j 2 API. At a minimum all the log4j imports have to be
modified. You only have to modify the actual logging statements if you want to
take advantage of the API improvements.

Ralph