Hi folks!

Apologies if I missed this discussion; I’ve read back through the dev list
through 2021. I wanted to make sure I have the correct expectations before I
start stomping around in Jira.

I haven’t found a write up anywhere on what promises we make for
major/minor/patch versions.  What is the current expectation for:

- compatibility of configs
- compatibility of versions of things we can connect to (e.g. Kafka servers)
- compatibility of folks who implement our APIs to make their own components
- removal of capabilities

I know a big focus right now is on updating dependencies.Talking about
expectations for the above ahead of time will help downstream users understand
how difficult adopting those new dependencies will be from their perspective.

Our last release was 1.9.0 in ~2019. The `trunk` branch currently has a
SNAPSHOT version of 1.10.0.  Right now JIRA has a combination of closed issues
since 1.9.0 that say they are for version “2.0.0” and “1.10.0” and AFAICT the
changes associated with them are all in the trunk branch.

What is our next planned release version? What is the planned release after
that?

If our next planned release is 1.10.0 and the release after that is 2.0.0, I
think we should create a branch-1.10 now so that we have a place to triage
which changes might need to be backed out depending on the above expectations
for compatibility.

If we’re not planning on a 2.0.0 this year, then we’ll need to review the
already landed changes to make sure they’re in line with whatever expectations
we want to set about compatibility.