Hi,

I fully agree with you.
Sidebar is browser dependent and is generally made to be automatically and frequently refreshed - just as CNN sidebar does, dispaying the titles of the recent news...
I think I started this thread, so allow me to close it.

   Sidebar is not a good idea. (This discussion opened my eyes)

The only thing I keep in mind is the idea to generate a PDA site with a specific output plugin...
Regards,
Cyriaque,
Mark Eggers a écrit :

I apologize for joining this discussion late.

--- Ross Gardler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

I think it would be great to have optional support
for advanced features of smarter browsers. Though that means you would have to support several

access

options (smart and dumb) for the same browser.

While I like the idea of exploring advanced features of some of the browsers, I do think it should be optional.

This does create an extra burden for the site
administrator.  That person would have to keep up two
sets of style sheets (or sites!) as well as having a
pretty good set of selection rules to distinguish
between all the browsers.

second permanent window area to support all kinds
of extra info see

www.granneman.com/webdev/browsers/mozillafirefoxnetscape/sidebars.htm.

I really don't like the sidebar and will only use it
occasionally for history searches.  In general when I
put together or read web pages, I like as much screen
real estate as possible.

I wouldn't put navigation in the side bar, that is
not really what it is for.

I agree with this. The sidebar information in the web site example has nothing to do with the page being viewed.

The user has full control over when a side bar is viewed and therefore if you put something critical

your page in there (like navigation) your page may appear broken to the user.

I agree with this. What happens when a user makes consistent use of the sidebar, as in the Scott Granneman example? Does the Forrest sidebar overwrite the user's sidebar? Do you end up with two sidebars and half the screen real estate gone? This second option might be manageable if Forrest's structure was more liquid.

My real problem with this is that it strays quite far
from standards, and thus accessibility.  I think it's
not safe to have critical parts of a web site depend
on optional (flash, shockwave, java, javascript) or
browser-specific (ActiveZ, rounded corners in CSS,
sidebars) functionality.

Just my two cents . . . .

/mde/