Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> >David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >DC> If people want to do many whitespace changes, then please
> >DC> try to keep them as separate commits to real content changes.
> >DC> Committers have a duty to monitor the commits. When the
> >DC> changes are mixed with whitespace changes, it is very
> >DC> difficult to see what changed.
> >
> >Sorry about that.
> >
> >Actually I didn't really want to change other whitespace. I just had
> >Oxygen re-format the XML with 2 space indents (which I thought was the
> >rule).

It seemed to also do other reformatting. Be sure to do 'svn diff'
before committing.

> >Any suggestions how to set the Oxygen so that it is in sync what
> >everybody else uses.
>
> There are only guidelines, not rules. The best thing to do is to turn
> off all auto formating, ensure your editor uses spaces not tabs and edit
> files in the same style that they already exists.

Yes, that is the safest.

> I struggled with this myself for a while as I was used to working in
> teams with a clear set of rules. However, it seems Open Source never
> works this way because of the range of tools, preffered styles,
> operating systems etc.

There was a huge discussion about this topic at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Re: whitespace cleanup and efficiency drive
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=106843997700002

Some of that was documented at:
http://cocoon.apache.org/community/committer.html

One particular outcome was that occasionally someone
who has a capable editor should make the whitespace
be consistent in all files. It would probably be best
to do a section of the repository while no other people
are working on that section. That has been gradually
happening at Cocoon.

--David