We have a facility in skinconf for the pelt skin called MOTD
"Message of the day". It appends the version number to the html title
and puts a little notice on the page and in the menu. This was a
quick workaround to make sure that it is obvious which set of docs
the user is looking at.

However, with the current demo of the docs-reorg branch:
http://people.apache.org/~crossley/docs-reorg/
the same message is shown on every page.

I have enhanced the facility to add different messages depending
on the URL path. So now we can append different messages to the
versioned docs and none to the top-level docs. This is nice.

However i have not yet committed this. It needs changes to
the skinconf DTD. We have skinconf-v6-3.dtd which already
has the rudimentary MOTD elements. This enhanced MOTD will
need to change the structure. So it would need to be a new DTD.
I propose to call it skinconf-v7-1.dtd and not try to also support
the old 0.7-dev behaviour. I will add that to the docs-reorg branch
ASAP.

-David