Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
- To keep things simple we have started out by making a lot of
 documentation 'versioned' thus increasing the volume of our
 site-author-directory quite a bit.

 In the upcoming weeks I'd like to go through the documentation and
 move items like the dtd-documentation back into a directory 'docs'
 since there is no need for versioning these with Forrest releases.
 This will mean no visible change to the user interface as the
 documents will still show under versioned docs (because they may or
 may not be available in one specific version) but it means that
 both versions will link to the same file.

I'd say put a temporary hold on that, read on...

= We might eventually admit to having some non-versioned Forrest
   docs and show them as a separate Tab. But I don't like this idea
   because I prefer to have all documentation items on a version
   to be in one menu (so that newbies can find and read all docs by
   going through one menu).

   A possible solution might be to utilize Davids great new MOTD hack
   and imprint a different message to docs that reside in the non
   versioned docs-folder.

   So a dtd-documentation residing in docs would show in the
   versioned docs menu but when you open it have a MOTD saying 'This
   is non-versioned documentation that applies to more than one
   version of Forrest'.

   Adding an 'applies to'-information at the top of the document
   would in my eyes make this complete.

The Locationmap is what you need for managing these docs. Wait until you have the time to understand the locationmap and do it that way. I think we will be able to design a great solution.

We can discuss after the locationmap branch is merged with trunk. (this does not affect the MOTD idea, which I like)

Ross