Diwaker Gupta wrote:
On Saturday 30 July 2005 4:38 pm, Ross Gardler wrote:

o unification: most of the work on views so far has focused on XHTML.
again, i'm having a hard time envisioning a unified framework that
integrates all input/output formats.

This was touched on at ApacheCon. in fact it was pointed out that the
current way of defining a view can't be reused in other formats as it
has the concept of head and body hard coded whilst other formats don't
have them (text for example) or have a more complex representation of
them (FO for example).

I agree that this is an extremely important issue that we need to
address sooner rather than later. In my view this fits into the
configuration point above - would you agree?

Perhaps. I'm still not sure whats the best way to structure this. My first instinct tells me that a contract should be output independent -- that is, once I include a siteinfo-copyright contract in my view, for instance, irrespective of what output format I use (XHTML, text, pdf), it should generate the appropriate expected content. In this view, then, each contract must provide suitable implementations for different output types (which is where I figured the "type=" field in contract definition would be used).

Let keep the discussion flowing.

I have noting to add. What you describe is exactly how I imagine it
working. How it is configured would be part of the config discussion.
Lets wait and see if others agree with our vision.

Ross