Tim Williams wrote:
> On a side note, not that we should necessarily consider this... but
> it's worth mentioning that there's a social factor to all this as
> well, right?  I mean, let's be honest, it'd suck to be the new guy/gal
> voted in as a committer-only to Forrest knowing that all before you
> are PMC members as well.  I suppose I bring this up because whatever
> course is taken, it should probably be all or nothing -- in other
> words, we either say everyone goes through the commitership->pmc
> incubation->pmc track or everyone goes directly to PMC as it is now;
> there's not enough objective criteria to distinguish between the two
> on an individual-by-individual basis.

This is an interesting point, I agree with it.

This is why we still *can* make someone a _temporary_ committer if we
have a specific work he has to do that cannot easily be done with
patches, but this is never to be intended as a preferred path to the
PMC, exactly for the reasons you state above.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -