Gav.... wrote:
> From: Ross Gardler
> > Gav.... wrote:
> > >
> > > The above was first posted Sunday, now the vote, was this enough time
> > > to discuss things (is this the norm)? - I got here after 0.7 release.
> >
> > Generally we try to allow at least 72 hours. However, if you have a
> > problem it can be raised during the vote.
> >
> > Remember this release process is not new (it is to you, but not to
> > Forrest). Therefore, there should not be a need for much discussion
> > other than the dates.
> >
> > The vote is only to ensure that the release will have the backing of the
> > PMC which is a requirement. Without sufficient positive and no negative
> > votes from the PMC the release cannot be made.
> >
> > All that being said, if there is an issue, it should be raised whether
> > you are a PMC member or not.
>
> No, there are no issues as far as I am concerned, just surprised to see
> this vote thread so early on, but then I should have worked backwards
> 1 week from end of voting date mentioned to realise it would start now!

The timing was an unfortunate set of circumstances, sorry.
I meant to explain it.

Usually proposals are left to run until the discussion
is finished. At that time there is often an obvious solution
and voting is not required.

For the Release Plan and Release we must vote, as i explained.
According to our Guidelines, we allow a full week for votes
not just 72 hours.

Now to the timing ...

The release had to happen prior to ApacheCon Europe in early May
and i heard on this list that some people (and also me) are busy
around end of April. So come back one week or so to give space.
Need to allow time for the process to go wrong and need a third
release candidate.

So working backwards and allowing the space for each phase,
it was very tight. The release plan proposal had to go out
immediately and even so there wasn't a full week for the vote.
So i gave people a few days and there was zero discussion,
so i got on with the vote.

As Ross says, people can still raise issues during the vote
period. Normally the proposal phase would air issues.
People can also change their vote before the closing date.
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#procedure

-David