On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 08:30 +0300, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> I think I will leave it as it is then, at least for the moment.
> Eclipse has turned out to be a steep learning thing for me (I have
> tried a couple of times, but I don't grasp the idea of the interface -
> it is just confusing to me), and setting this up would take more time
> than I have at the moment.

Actually a similar problem that you are trying to solve has been solved
by David a while back. I remember because while updating I stumble over
the solution again.

Have a look in the main sitemap or the internal.xmap of the dispatcher.
There we use entities to make the serializer configurable. First we
define the entities file:
<!DOCTYPE map:sitemap [
<!ENTITY % symbols-project
  PUBLIC "-//Apache Forrest//ENTITIES Symbols Project v1.0//EN"
  "symbols-project-v10.ent">
  %symbols-project;
<!ENTITY % symbols-core
  PUBLIC "-//Apache Forrest//ENTITIES Symbols Core v1.0//EN"
  "symbols-core-v10.ent">
  %symbols-core;
]>
and later on we use it:
<map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.xhtml" mime-type="text/html"
        name="xhtml" pool-grow="2" pool-max="64" pool-min="2"
        src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">

<doctype-public>&serializer-xhtml-doctype-public;</doctype-public>

<doctype-system>&serializer-xhtml-doctype-system;</doctype-system>
        <encoding>&serializer-xhtml-encoding;</encoding>
        <indent>yes</indent>
        <omit-xml-declaration>yes</omit-xml-declaration>
      </map:serializer>

As you can see each project can provide a symbols-project-v10.ent which
can override the configuration.

By default we have e.g. for the dispatcher:
<!ENTITY serializer-xhtml-encoding "UTF-8">

I think that is a quite elegant solution to our problem without the need
for an extended debugging session.

salu2