Hello all,

I'm starting on the next step to make the pdf plugin fully i18n - support for i18n text.

To that extent I have a couple of questions:

1.

In $FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/sitemap.xmap, the following lines are found:

<map:transformer name="i18n" src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.I18nTransformer">
        <catalogues default="common">
<catalogue id="common" name="CommonMessages" location="{properties:skins-dir}common/translations"/>
        </catalogues>
        <cache-at-startup>true</cache-at-startup>
      </map:transformer>

Why is the path to the message catalogue "soft-coded" to the project instead of using a LM?

2.

Dispatcher has its own set of translations in

$FORREST_HOME/whiteboard/plugins/o.a.f.plugin.internal.dispatcher/ resources/stylesheets/common/translations/

The files there seem to be exact copies of the ones in

$FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/skins/common/translations/

Any reason for the duplication? Why not use the skins catalogue?

3. Both dispatcher and skins seem to prefer translations in the project tree. Why is that? To ease setup for new languages for new users (understandable)? It would still be quite easy to use some LM to fall back to a message catalogue in forrest if not found in the project, and just tell users to copy the files into the proper project folder if needed (ie when needing support for a language not yet included in Forrest).

Basic point for all these questions:

now we have copies of the same info all over the place, and most is not used - I would like to remove all the unnecessary ones, and use LM in all cases - and remove the messages from the seed. As part of that I would like to update the user documentation for i18n as well, to make sure it reflects the current state and how to set up proper i18n support, as well as how to add new languages to the translation catalogue.

WDYT?

Best regards,
Sjur