Hello all,

I am looking at improving the localisation support of the search box, but am
running into a backwards compatibility wall. Here’s the situation:

* the old code added placeholder text to the search field to guide users as to
what the search will do
* it also contained a simple js to clear the field upon text input
* the old code didn’t work with the i18n setup, so the placeholder text would
always be in English
* modern browsers have support for @placeholder: <input type="text"
placeholder=“Type your search here” >
* using this attribute, the placeholder text works exactly as intended,
including i18n and l10n
* … EXCEPT for IE9 and older, in which case the search field will be just empty

Question/viewpoints requested:

Is this important enough that we want to find a JS solution for older browsers?
I tried one, but couldn’t get it going (that might well be because of my
non-existent JS knowledge).

OR:

Would it be ok to drop support for older browsers in this case? It just means
that there won’t be any lead text/placeholder text in the search field, it will
just be plain white instead.

WDYT?

This is tested with the Pelt skin, but the code changes are small and should
portable to all skins without issues.

Sjur