Hi,
we may have a rather special case and are looking for ideas.
We would like to to keep the placeholders as they are in case of null
values.

Assume the following template:

${metaHeaderDataA}
${variableB}

We would like the following behavior:

*1st render phase:*
data.put("metaHeaderDataA", "foo")
environment.process(template);

Expected Output:
foo
${variableB}

The we want to render this output again with:

*2nd render phase:*
data.put("variableB", "bar")
environment.process(template);

Expected final Output:
foo
bar

As you see there 2 two rendering phases involved. In phase 1 only some
variables are known (metaHeaderDataA).
The other variables come later.
We would like keep the placeholders in the 1st rendering phase, if there is
no value or null value in the data model, so that they can be rendered
later.

I think this is very special.
So I am just  thinking, is this something which could (theoretically) be a
configurable option maybe on a per-Template-object level (Java Code)? Or is
this something impossible to do?

Or any other workaround ideas?

Thanks
Christoph