I happen to use FreeMarker, because I work on CongoCC, which uses it, but I
don't work on any FreeMarker codebase itself. I'm not speaking for Jonathan,
but my view on "why not join  hands in here ...? " might be answered in part by
comments Dániel Dékány made - "I think the next logical step in FM3 is
replacing the whole parser" - not exactly a small amount of work, but something
that's already been done in the project Jonathan linked to. If the interest of
the community is in moving the technology forwards, then that work would seem a
suitable starting point, rather than an old branch which seems very out of date
but just happens to be in the same repository. You'll see that for whatever
reason, it's hard to innovate in the Apache project because the challenges are
not only technical (getting some work done) but also social (getting others to
accept to work with it, or with you). What are the recent innovations in Apache
FreeMarker, apart from working a bit on the margins like servlet API-related
stuff (hardly core to a template engine)? I'm only a recent subscriber to this
list so I've only seen discussion of that kind of thing, but happy to be
informed about other more substantial innovations. Now it's a very mature
project that perhaps doesn't need much in the way of innovation, but for me the
new syntax changes in Jonathan's project (the ability to use e.g. #if ... /#if
instead of [#if...] [/#if] in many contexts) is a readability win, even if it
seems a small change. Not sure how much work would be required to retrofit that
in Apache FreeMarker, but I doubt anyone will step up to do that kind of thing.
So if one's primary interest is in the technology and advancing the state of
the art, one tries to work with whatever is the best of breed in an area. If
one's interest is more in being part of a community, then one works with the
community, no matter the technical and social limitations that this entails. In
that case, the technology / technical solutions seem secondary.

Regards,
Vinay Sajip

    On Monday, 5 February 2024 at 06:22:15 GMT, Taher Alkhateeb