As far as Apache is concerned, there will be no other template engine with
"FreeMarker" in its name, only Apache FreeMarker. Even if an Apache project
is retired, its name goes into the grave with it (usually). There are no
plans to retire Apache FreeMarker.

This is simply because the "FreeMarker" name was given to the Apache
Software Foundation (in 2015). Jonathan signed the Software Grant Agreement
back then. The project can be freely forked, but the result should be
released under a different name. That's that simple.

--
Best regards,
Daniel Dekany