Friday, January 13, 2017, 2:03:01 PM, Mauricio Nuñez wrote:

> Well, FM3 can be reduced to a minimum, core and servlet ( IMHO ), dropping
> those dependencies.
>
> The different integrations can be managed outside of freemarker, ideally
> motivating new projects managed by new people. Just dreaming, but  for
> example, think in an scala-freemarker , clojure-freemarker, o
> nashorn-freemarker integrations.

Yes, that's basically the idea. How much such "extensions" will be
actually implemented (and by who) is another question of course. There
are at least 3 that surely should be done and should be managed under
the umbrella of the official FreeMarker project:

- freemaker-xml: Traverse/query W3C DOM (XML) trees dropped into the
  data-model. That's freemarker.ext.dom in FM2. FM3 is certainly not
  releasable if it's not ready.

- freemarker-servlet: Servlet integration (i.e., FreemarkerServlet)

- freemarker-jsp: JSP custom tag integration

But of course, first the freemarker-core has to be done...

(Speaking of "nashorn-freemarker" (or rather, freemarker-nashorn?), a
perhaps interesting fact: One of the two main developers of FM2,
Attila, was one of the developers of Nashorn at Oracle. AFAIK he did
most of the interaction between the JavaScript and Java word... pretty
hard core stuff.)

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany