I'm assuming the type ids here are a different set than the type ids used
with regular PDX serialization so they won't conflict if the pdx registry
assigns 1 to some class and a user puts @typeId: 1 in their json?

I'm concerned that this won't really address the type explosion issue.
Users that are able to go to the effort of adding these typeIds to all of
their json are probably users that can produce consistently formatted json
in the first place. Users that have inconsistently formatted json are
probably not going to want or be able to add these type ids.

It might be better for us to pursue a way to store arbitrary documents that
are self describing. Our current approach for json documents is assuming
that the documents are all consistently formatted. We are infer a schema
for their documents store the field names in the type registry and the
field values in the serialized data. If we give people the option to store
and query self describing values, then users with inconsistent json could
just use that option and pay the extra storage cost.

-Dan