I was considering the case when one want to change its "value" through rolling
upgrade. In an ideal world, I would expect that every node will have the same
heap/off configuration, but other can happen.

      From: Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>
 To: geode <dev@geode.apache.org>
 Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2017 12:16 PM
 Subject: Re: Off-Heap Annotations

The region is required to be off-heap in every member in the cluster.
Imagine memberA with 12 GB heap, 100 GB off-heap and memberB with 8 GB
heap, 0 GB off-heap. What's the point of having replicated regionA be
off-heap in memberA but on heap in memberB? The region will always be
limited by the heap size of memberB. More importantly, the ResourceManager
would not handle things correctly unless regionA is consistently off-heap
in every member. The documentation also recommends that every member have
the same off-heap-memory-size because of the way the ResourceManager is
implemented as well. Any major differences in memory size between members
is a good way to cause one or more of them to run out of memory unless you
constrain the amount of data that can go into the region in some way.