To clarify, the goal here is to remove access from the public API to inject
custom stats into our stats stream. We would still collect stats for the
internals of the client.

The rational is multifaceted:

1) The C++ API is would need a non-trivial amount of time to modernize. The
current API uses pointers of pointers for maintaining collections. There is
a strange cross relationship between components in the stats classes which
create unique pointer ownership questions. Rather than solving those now
and further dragging out the modernization of the C++ API we would drop it
and evaluated adding it back in a modern way in the future. Though I
suspect adding it back in the future will never happen for the reasons
below.

2) The storage format for our stats in proprietary to Geode and lacks wide
market adoption.

3) There are no modern tools for analyzing the statistics generated. Geode
lacks a tool for viewing or analyzing the statistics. Unless work is
prioritized on completing the jVSD application then users are forced to
write custom applications to extract the contents of the stats files.

I support the removal from the Java public API for reasons 2 and 3. Unless
we put a full effort into creating the ecosystem around the stats format to
make it usable we should remove it from the public API. I strongly
encourage that we remove it internally too but that is for another
discussion.

-Jake