I think we all need to be very consistent in requiring tests with all PRs.
This goes for committer as well as non-committer contributions.

A test would both confirm the existence of the bug in the first place and
then confirm the fix. Without such a test, any developer could come along
later, modify the code in question and break it without ever realizing it.
A test would protect the behavior that was fixed or introduced.

Also if we are not consistent in requiring tests for all contributions,
then contributors will learn to pick and choose which reviewers to listen
to and which ones to ignore.

I for one do not want to waste my time reviewing and requesting changes
only to be ignored and have said PR be committed without the (justified)
changes I've requested.