Just to help facilitate the discussion, here's a pull request that changes
GMSLocator from:

    this.viewFile = new File(System.getProperty("user.dir"), "locator" +
server.getPort() + "view.dat");

...to:

    this.viewFile = new File(System.getProperty("user.dir"), "locator" +
server.getPort() + "view.dat");

To allow the new test LocatorViewFileTemporaryFolderDUnitTest to redirect
the locator view dat file to a JUnit TemporaryFolder.

The only other way I can think of to this is to introduce a new Geode
property for "current-directory" which a test could specify. That property
value would have to be pushed down to every class that creates a new File.

Pull request: https://github.com/apache/geode/pull/1243