Late to the game here, as I see this was merged today...

The addition of the Gradle versions plugin is good and hopefully we can go
farther down the path of dependency scanning by adding security as well.
Currently, GitHub has this setup for Ruby and JavaScript [1], however it is
lacking Java dependencies. Until GitHub can support Java dependencies, I
would suggest we look at other tools, such as snyk.io [2], for tracking our
dependencies with security vulnerabilities.

--Mark

[1] https://github.com/blog/2470-introducing-security-alerts-on-github
[2] https://snyk.io/