Thanks Jens! I was searching for the cause on Friday but couldn't find it.

Looks like any static usage of ClusterStartupRule ends up launching DUnit
VMs. Gradle JUnit class loads (but does not instantiate) *Test.java. The
tests that have public static ClusterStartupRules result in ClusterStartupRule
being instantiated and the constructor contains
"DUnitLauncher.launchIfNeeded();" so we're launching DUnit VMs in both the
UnitTest and IntegrationTest targets.

I'm going to assign GEODE-4885 to myself and try to move
"DUnitLauncher.launchIfNeeded();"
from the constructor to the before on ClusterStartupRule.