@Alexander, I can most certainly elaborate more.

In short, this refactor does not have to be in 1.12, but it does alter public Builders and classes. Which means, that if we don't release it with 1.12, we would have to go through the cycle of deprecation,etc. to get this change in. Given that the initial GEODE-7715 ticket is not in any released version of Geode, it would just simplify the process of not having to go through unnecessary pain to simplify and make this process more intuitive for users.

Does this answer your question as to why?

--Udo