My first thought is cache close (i.e. RegionService.close()  should be
synchronous (by default), perhaps, with non-blocking options or options to
wait for a set timeout as Jake suggested.

This is a problem for *Integration Tests* (that start a peer cache
instance, in-process or standalone) in general and not simply just
"distributed" tests!  This is the reason I built support for this in *Spring
Test for Apache Geode* (STDG) since subsequent tests requiring a peer cache
instance (or CacheServer) may conflict with each other, especially given 1)
the cache instance is a *Singleton* and 2) it is ideal to not have to
restart the JVM between, even for *Integration Tests*, however, turns out
to be a really common practice. *#ugh*  However, without proper
coordination this can be a real problem, hence STDG's support.  Even when
forking JVMs, you still have to be careful to wait in certain cases, as you
could run into other conflicts (e.g. BindExceptions if not varying port
numbers and such).  For all these reasons and more, it is important that
the cache has fully shutdown and released all its resources.

Also, while we are on this topic, I think it would be useful to have a
dedicated interface for the cache instance lifecycle.  It's unfortunate the
CacheListener interface is already taken for Region events. *#sigh*

The interface might be something like...

interface CacheLifecycleListener {

  default void isStarting(CacheEvent event) {}

  default void onStart(CacheEvent event) {}

  default void isClosing(CacheEvent event) {}

  default void onClose(CacheEvent event) {}

}

-j

--
-John