I've recently been working on a little side project to replace every use of
a hardcoded "/" character in region names/paths with a reference to the
Region.SEPARATOR constant. I ran into some problems though, since the
geode-management module needs to know about the separator character (in the
Region and Index classes) but does not have a dependency on geode-core,
where the character is currently defined.

Since the whole point of the exercise is to attempt to provide a single
place where the region separator character is defined, pulling the
definition down into a module upon which both geode-core and
geode-management depend seems like the sensible choice, so I'm proposing to
create a GeodePublicGlossary class (name entirely up for change) in the
geode-common/src/main/java/org/apache/geode/util/ package, moving the
definition there, then deprecating the definitions in the Region interface
in geode-core.

To preempt a possible question, there already exists a GeodeGlossary class
(which defines the GEMFIRE_PREFIX constant), but it's in an internal
package, so isn't a suitable place to move the definition of the currently
user-visible region separator character.

Any feedback or suggestions on this idea would be very welcome.